About the Befriending Services Service
Our Befriending Service is about creating a network of informal volunteers who share their time to help local people in need.
Loneliness is an increasing problem in society today, particularly for older and vulnerable people.
Half a million people across the UK go at least 5 days without seeing anyone and 60% of people in North Yorkshire & Darlington are considered to be at a medium to high risk of loneliness.
We're encouraging local people to commit a small amount of time each week to help someone near them in need. It's all about building back a sense of community in an increasingly isolated world.
Befriending is available in the following areas:
- Darlington - Darlington, Middleton St. George and the surrounding villages.
- Hambleton - Northallerton, Thirsk and areas nearby
- Richmondshire - Richmond, Catterick and areas nearby
Good Friends is joint-funded by the following organisations:
- Darlington Primary Care Network
- North Yorkshire County Council